Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Turkey Taco Salad

I found a great salad recipe the other day, and although I am not sure if Gramma Sanders even liked taco salad, I wanted to share it with you! OK, I'll admit... its not the most visually appealing salad, but its flavorful, low-cal, and delicious! You gotta try it, in fact, you can serve it with tortilla chips for dipping, instead of on lettuce, and your husband won't even know its healthy! Plus you could add gobbs of sour cream and cheese if you want a bit more fat in the dish. I had it at a luncheon (it was served with chips as a dip) and I pretty much stalked the host until she gave me the recipe, I had to have it! So here it is...


cooking spray or olive oil
1 lb ground turkey (or beef if you want)
1 pack of taco seasoning (optional)
1 15 oz can of pinto or black beans (if you wanna double the batch, I'd use one of each)
1 cup kernal corn
1 cup of bottled salsa

4-6 cups shredded lettuce (or whole leaves if you want lettuce wraps)

Topping suggestions:
*1/4 cup shredded cheese
*1 cup crushed tortilla chips
*sour cream
* tomatoes

Brown the turkey in some Pam spray or about 1 Tb of Olive Oil, then add the taco seasoning and 3/4 cup water. Let simmer about 5 minutes, then just dump everything else in. Turn down heat let simmer another 5 minutes. Remember it can be a salad, a taco, a lettuce wrap, or a nacho dip, use your imagination. Let us know if you try it!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Yum!!! I am going to have to try it! It is right down my alley! Hey, maybe you should make it for me when we are at Mom's? ; )

Unknown said...

Nancy..that looks like a good one. You want to make it when you come up here?

Kristie