Sunday, November 16, 2008

All Things Pumpkin, For That I am Thankful!

So, lately, I've had a pumpkin addiction and I'm addicted to trying and improving pumpkin recipes that I find. I'm going to publish two of my all-time, re-used recipes and also one new one that I just barely tried. All of them are fantastic! I hope you enjoy. I thought the fall time was a great time to publish these kinds of recipes. If anyone has a great pumpkin recipe, I'd love to try it!

Probably my favorite pumpkin recipe that I use all of the time is Pumpkin Ribbon Bread. This is one of my favorite things to grab for breakfast when I'm in a hurry. I'm sure something that tastes this good cannot be that healthy, but I justify and say that because it has pumpkin and applesauce in it, is totally acceptable as a "healthy" food!


Start out by doing the cheesecake filling first:
6 oz. cream cheese ( I use the whole pack..8oz.)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 TBSP of all-purpose flour
2 egg whites
Combine all together and mix. Then set aside.In another bowl beat 1 cup of pumpkin, 1/2 cup of applesauce, 1 egg, 2 egg whites, and 1 TBSP of oil. Combine 1 2/3 cup of flour, 1 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. cloves. Add this to pumpkin mixture. Then stir together. After it is all mixed, stir in 1/3 cups of walnuts. Spray to 8X4X2 loaf pans with Pam. Then put down enough in each pan to just cover the bottom. The recipe says half, but I've found if you can cover the bottom with just enough, it is harder to cover the top when the filling is down. The picture below show you how much I actually put into it.

Then spread it over the bottom. After this you will get your cream cheese layer and spread it over the bottom layer. I divide this into half and spread with a spatula. I try to get it as close to the edge as I can.

After that, spread the reamaining batter over the top of the cream cheese filling. Put in the over and back at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing. It says to refridgerate the bread, but I've never done it and it seems to be fine. We eat it quick enough that it doesn't have time to go bad.


You will see when it is done that it is actually very normal looking and you can't tell that you have added anything, until....
You cut into it and there you have...the ribbon in the middle. Not to mention how utterly yummy this bread really is!



Pumpkin Pancakes-used IHOP secret recipe and then modified it quite a bit. I like my version the best!
Mix together these five ingredients-
15 oz pumpkin
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cube of butter melted
1/4-1/2 cups of sugar -I just kind of pour about that much!

Batter will look like below
Then you will begin to add the dry ingredients:
1/4 cups of flour
1-3 TBSP of cinnamon (I like a lot of spice...you don't have to put that much!)
Grated nutmeg-about 1 TBSP
Sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. saltMix this together and your batter will look like this. My goes kind of a light brown, because I like a lot of spices. If you don't, you can not put in as much.Put the batter on a heated gridle. I turn it between 300 degrees and 350 degrees. Because there is so much pumpkin in them, you have to let them cook on each side for quite a bit. They are very moist pancakes. As you can see, flipping them is a little difficult. I also have a hard time making them small. It doesn't matter how little I put on the gridle, they always blow up into these huge things! The cook time is about fifteen minutes...My husband doesn't like them as moist inside as I do, so you can cook them for a while longer than fifteen minutes! It does take some time, but it is well worth it! My husband likes to put butter spray on his pancakes, and instead of syrup, which I think drowns out the taste of how good these are, we use fat-free cool whip. And yes, you do have to use a lot, but it is still lower in calories than using normal syrup. The reason why I say you have to use a lot is because it melts rather quickly. Andy and I share one container because I like a lot of whipped cream on it. This has become our Saturday breakfast tradition! They are so good and so filling.
The last item, I copied from a Taste of Home magazine, however, being the weirdo that I am, I always try to figure out ways to make it better. I changed the filling and the frosting and added some spice.
Pretty Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns/Rolls
(I'll type the ingredients and then the directions. I didn't take too many pictures of this process....it takes some time! )
For the dough:
2 TBSP active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
4 eggs
1 cup of shortening
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup warm milk (110-115 degrees)-I heated it in the microwave
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup instant vanilla pudding mix
1/3 cup butterscotch pudding mix
1 tsp salt
7-8 cups of flour
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, shortening, pumpkin, milk, sugars, pudding mixes, salt, and 6 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. (I had to use my hands at one point because it was attempting to go up inside of my mixer!) Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky!)
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled-about 1 hour.

While it is raising make the filling: ( I actually doubled this because it said it was enough dough for 2 roll outs. 1 cube of butter-melted and set aside. Then combine 2 cups of packed brown sugar, 1 TBSP of cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves, grated nutmeg(or as many spices as you can handle...I like a lot and usually just eye ball how much to use...so I'm not sure how much I used) Mix together. Then after dough has had enough time to raise, punch it down, and divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12X8 rectangle; brush with butter. Then use sugar mixture and sprinkle over the top of this. I also added in dried craisins because I like raisins in normal cinnamon rolls, but I thought the craisins would add a good taste. I made one pan without and one with. We all preferred the craisin pan and so when I make the again, I will always add the craisins. It added a little bit of a tart taste to the rolls.
Then after this, you will roll up the dough jelly-roll style starting with a long side (however I did it from the top and rolled down and it makes the rolls nice and big...so I would say it is your choice on this!) Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices. (I didn't quite get 12, but my toddler was helping me to cut...I also just use thread and cross it...it really cuts the rolls clean and doesn't squish them down!). Place cut sides down on two grease 9X13X2 inch baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 3o minutes.
Bake at 350 for 22-28 minutes (mine were done at 22 minutes) or until golden brown.
I forgot to take pictures of when they were done...so you get to see the only finished one I have in picture with my lunch at school. To make the icing for this, I kind of jazzed it up, so if you don't want more spice, just add first ingredients....
3 TBSP water
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp (I used more!) ground cinnamon
2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
**I added more cinnamon and some cloves! I thought it was great. You also need to double the recipe to actually have enough for both pans!
The finished roll is to the right! Eat warm and reheat...for best results! :-)
These rolls were lots of work, but well worth it!
Kristie

3 comments:

Holly said...

OK, so Jay is on a pumpkin kick...this sounds right down his alley! Yeah! I am looking for an assortment. Mom said you were the Queen of Pumpkin Recipes!

jakeniederer said...

Why the heck didn't you cook for me when I was up last??

Unknown said...

Hey Jake...Well first of all it was a fly by night trip and second of all you are too picky! :-) Maybe if you are nice, I'll cook something over Christmas!

Kristie