Thursday, October 16, 2008

Donuts in the fall!

I don't know if it is because of the heat caused by the hot oil and fall temperatures in Hamer made it naturally colder or why but Grandma usually did these in the fall. I remember the smell! Hmmmm....Yumm..... So naturally every fall when it starts to get me craving those same smells and tastes. Just as I did, Jayson looks forward to our donut fest and just as I did, he can't wait to lip the frosting drippings. So here is one of my favorite donut recipes grandma used:

Glazed Donuts
Dough:

1 pkg dry yeast
¼ luke warm water for the yeast
  • Use about a tablespoon of sugar with yeast mixture set aside (I usually set aside somewhere warm).

1 cup boiling water
¼ c butter
½ c sugar

  • Pour boiling water over butter sugar salt and vanilla.

Mix in a separate bowl:

1 cup canned milk
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
  • Add canned milk eggs yeast to sugar butter mixture and ½ of the flour.
  • beat by hand not mixer until well mixed.
5 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
  • Add rest of flour and mix well again. (just five cups that is it and remember you already added 1/2 cup)!
  • Cover dough and let rise until double.
  • Roll out ½ inch thick; cut with large doughnut cutter
  • Mom and Gram used a clean large jar lid.
  • Allow the cut out donuts to rise again.
  • Heat oil. (I use a fry daddy and grandma used a pot on the stove. She would always test the oil with a donut hole.)
  • Fry until golden on both sides.
  • Let oil drain on a paper towel. (I usually place paper towels on a cookie sheet).


Glaze:
1pkg powder sugar
boiling water to desired
1tsp vanilla

Mix items together until you have a thin glaze mixture. Add water to desire. I prefer my donuts to have lite glaze so I water mine down pretty good. Also as you go the mixture will thicken so I always keep the water on the stove boiling while I glaze so I can add more boiling water to keep the same consistency. I dip fried donut in glaze and let the glaze roll off for a few seconds and usually I have a dowel that I purchase for cheap at WalMart that was really in expensive that I keep clean for this purpose. Place donuts on elevated dowel to let the glaze dry. *Note the pictures and the space in between each donut so they can all dry. (I had to get creative because my dowel got lost in our move so I used a tree stick with foil wrapped around it so it was clean in the picture below).







***These recipes are user friendly; however please do note that I do include Jayson (my 5 year old) in on the fun BUT only during the icing part due to HOT oil. Please be cautious and careful of the heated oil, it splashes and can burn anyone within reach! Remember always to be safe and cautious in the kitchen especially when children are involved!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those donuts look fantastic....Maybe I'll have to make them. I think this site is a good idea, I will try to post some of my recipes!

Kristie

Nedra and Paderewski said...

Holly, send me a dozen so that I can make a more informed evaluation.

Ernie

Holly said...

You've got it Ernie, BUT I can't guarantee freshness! ; )

Erin said...

Oh my gosh...donuts too! These look soooo good. I will have to go out and get a rod or something to hang them on. I think I've only made donuts once and that was in high school.