Sunday, October 19, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread Pull Aparts...

This recipe is from the kitchen of my Mom. Dad always requested homemade bread because his mother made it and those smells and tasted reminded him of her. Mom has an old wheat grinder and I remember grinding the wheat to make fresh whole wheat bread. Because Mom only made this on occasion this is such a treat for me! Like my Dad it reminds me of my mom, the lovely smells and the taste of the fresh warm bread smothered in honey out of the oven! YUM... My picky eaters just love the pull aparts and would not eat wheat bread otherwise. So the pull apart recipe is a great way to get the picky pants in your family to eat wheat!




Wheat Bread

2 T Yeast
½ cup warm water
1 T sugar

5 cups hot tap water
7 cups ground whole-wheat flour
Mix until blended.

Add:
2 T salt (I think this is too much- so I used 1 T).
2/3 cups oil
2/3 cups honey
1 more cup of flour

Add yeast mixture and blend thoroughly. Add 3-4 cups more of flour and then knead for 10 minutes. Oil hands and place into sprayed pans. Cover with damp cloth and let rise for 40 minutes.
Bake 350 for 40-45 minutes.


Pull Aparts

Mix 1 cup of sugar with 4 tsp of cinnamon and ½ cup melted butter. Roll 1 ½ inch balls in butter and the sugar mixture. Fill it until 2/3 full and let rise. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I have been trying to master whole wheat bread and I am so inconsistent. Do you add gluten to your dough or dough enhancer? My recipe is almost the same, minus the gluten, and I always seem to make BRICKS!!! So please, fill me in on the intricacies of whole wheat bread. I even have a wheat grinder. I may try to make it tomorrow if you inspire me with your knowledge.

Becca's Blog said...

Yum Holly! Nothing like fresh homemade bread. It looks so good! I'll have to try it next time I'm in the mood to bake some bread. I'm sure my family would love me to do that sooner rather than later and they would love the bread too!

Holly said...

Sorry Candee, I have enlisted the help of my mom. We have been researching for you and I can give you something on gluten and dough enhancers. Watch for a post tomorrow! : )

Erin said...

Yummy! I think I am going to make these this weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out!