Saturday, October 25, 2008

Norma's Meatballs!

Hello, Nancy here with a Norma Sanders recipe! I'll admit it, I do not really enjoy baking. I suppose I am just lazy and the thought of getting all the baking items, measuring utensils, mixing bowls, and having to wait for things to rise, rolling dough, kneading dough, cleaning all the dishes while it bakes, just to have dirty serving dishes makes me cringe. I do bake, but not often. However, I do enjoy cooking, especially easy recipe's with a grand result making it seem as if you slaved away all day. Which brings me to Norma's meatball recipe. I made them last year for Valentine's Day since it is one of Jake's favorite dishes from his Grandmother, and it was a hit and quick family favorite.

These meatballs are very simple, but you do cook them long and slow so you have to be sure to start them an hour or 2 before dinner time. Here is what you need:

1 lb Ground Beef (I suppose you could use turkey if your a health nut)
1/2 lb Ground Pork. (I like to use Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage, gives them a little kick!)
1/2 cup Uncooked Rice (I've used brown rice, no one will notice and its super healthy)
Salt and Pepper to taste ( I also add a dash or 2 of Italian seasoning.)
Can of tomato soup

So you basically just dump the meat, rice, and seasonings in a bowl and mush it together until mixed. Make sure your meat is thawed, but chilled. If its room temperature, the balls kind of fall apart. Here is a picture before I mixed the ingredients, I recommend using your hands. Its kinda icky, but its a lot quicker than a spoon.

When its nice and mixed, form into balls and brown in a frying pan on medium heat. While they are browning, dump the tomato soup in a large pot and fill it about 2/3 full with water. Whisk it up and heat to boiling. Once you have browned both sides, place the meatballs in the tomato soup bath, reduce heat, cover and let them simmer for a couple hours.

Yum! Gramma Sanders liked to serve hers over mashed potatoes, Jake thinks because Grampa Sanders preferred potatoes to pasta, but my family prefers spaghetti (or in this picture's case, Rotini) I just drain the soup then add my tomato sauce directly to the meatballs and heat for a few minutes more until the sauce it hot.

Add a quick salad and a bread stick and Ta-Da! Eat your heart out Olive Garden! Its nice to keep the memories of passed friends and family alive by passing on their favorite dishes and recipes. Good luck and enjoy these yummy (and easy!) meatballs! Thanks Norma!

3 comments:

Becca's Blog said...

I have a recipe similar to this, but it doesn't use the sausage, just hamburger. I think adding the sausage sounds really good! I'll have to try it this week! Thanks!

Holly said...

Yummmm..this makes me what to make some Nanc... look what you did now I am drooling! ; )

Erin said...

My family loves meatballs, I will definately have to give these a try. One question...Is the rice cooked or dry? Thanks!