Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bran Muffins

Ok, now don't panic, these are very yummy. These are not those huge, dry, heavy, bland bran muffins you see at whole foods stores. These are moist and delicious, and great way to sneak some fiber in your diet! My picky husband loves these and if he likes them, anyone will! If you need to, give them a new name like Magic Million Dollar Muffins or Super Hero doughnuts. Whatever works. Let us know if you liked them and if you came up with a fancy new name to appeal to your family!

Bran Muffins

2 1/2 Cups Bran Flakes Cereal
1 1/4 Cup Milk
1 1/4 Cup Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Oil



Combine the bran flakes with the milk and let it sit for abut 20 minutes so it can get nice and mooshy. I mix it with a fork after about 10 minutes to help break up the bran. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350, combine your dry ingredients, and spray your muffin tin with Pam. Add the egg and oil to the bran/milk mixture and then add the dry ingredients. Mix with whisk or fork. Fill each muffin cup about half full then bake for 20 to 25 minutes.



My family likes these best with honey and butter, and I love them with jam. Try whatever strikes your fancy!

*Low cal version. You can swap the oil for 1/3 C applesauce which ends up saving like 400 calories. They taste exactly the same, but the texture is altered slightly. My kids didn't notice, and my picky husband simply said they seemed "bouncy". It makes them a bit more chewy. So if you are entering a baking contest, stick to the oil, but otherwise the applesauce is a nice way to save a few calories.
Trust me, would I share a recipe that wasn't any good? Have a Bran-tastic breakfast!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Ladies, this is a such a fabulous Sunday morning tradition my mom has. These are soooo yummy that every Sunday at Mom's house we HAVE to have them. Add them to your Christmas morning brunch and you won't regret it- I promise!

Shannon and Doug said...

These look SO good! And very healthy too. I have a few good muffin recipes too! I have a super easy pumkin muffin recipe, but it is kinda cheating cuz I use a cake mix. But they are really yummy and they are WW too. You just get a 16 oz can of pumkin, and a spice cake mix. That is it! You mix the two together, no water or anything. You do have to use your hands to get it mixed well enough. And then latley I have been adding dark chocolate chips. SO YUM! Just pop them in the oven at 350 for about 10-13 min. You want them to be soft almost still on the gooey side when you take them out.

I am excited to try this bran muffin recipe though! It sure looks right up my ally.